Friday, February 09, 2007

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

I've been on a YA fantasy kick lately, to help counteract the stress of midterms and too many places to be in one day. This book was at the top of my list, thanks to relentless pestering from my daughter. I am glad she pestered me because I really enjoyed Inkspell.

I found a few faults with the first book in this series, Inkheart, but none in this novel. Inkspell picks up a few months after the events in Inkheart, and continues exploring Funke's ingenious answer to the question of what might happen if characters from a book could come to life. In this case, she has given certain people the gift of reading literary characters into existence; some can even "read" people and animals - both "real" and fictional - into a book. So in Inkspell we get to find out what would happen if someone were to suddenly become part of a fictional world. This is a great twist on a traditional fairy tale - it's got magic, bad guys, fairies and brave heroes, all wrapped up in a package that appeals to avid readers.

Highly recommended!

No comments: