Tuesday, November 15, 2005

In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith

I'm sorry to say this is the last book in this lovely series... at least, until Mr McCall Smith can manage to write another one. I think I liked this book best of all aside from the first one. It seems that the actual solving of cases at the detective agency is receding into the background, no more important than the fixing of cars at Mr J. L. B. Matekoni's garage, and in exchange the books are focusing more on the characters and their lives. I've finally figured out that these are not mystery novels at all, but rich stories about some good people living in a beautiful land and trying to live up to their hopes and dreams for themselves.

In this book, Mma Ramotswe is forced to confront and make peace with the lingering hurt from her first marriage, Mma Makutsi signs up for ballroom dancing classes and buys a new pair of shoes, and Charlie the apprentice finally gets a rich girlfriend. Nothing out of the ordinary here, but that's part of the appeal of these great little books - they aren't too shocking or dramatic, just warm and fun.


Other books I've read by this author:
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Tears of the Giraffe
Morality for Beautiful Girls
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
The Full Cupboard of Life
Portuguese Irregular Verbs

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm so excited! I just picked this book up in my bargain book hunt today, and am looking forward to it after your review. :)