Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sidetracked by Henning Mankell

Another installment in the Kurt Wallander series. This tough Swedish police detective finds himself up against a mysterious and horrible serial killer who is murdering middle-aged men and scalping them for good measure. For a change, the reader knows pretty well from the outset who the killer is but the police are chasing down dead ends because their killer doesn't fit the stereotype they're looking for.

It took me weeks to read this one as I only had bits of time at bedtime for reading, but it was satisfying enough to keep my interest in spite of reading it in little chunks. I'm enjoying Mankell's books immensely and always keen to get the next one from the library once I've finished a title. Isn't it great when you discover a good writer with a big back catalogue? This series even has a British TV adaptation which I will be interested in trying once I've read all the books and know I can avoid plot spoilers.

No comments: