Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Gilda Joyce : The Ladies of the Lake by Jennifer Allison

Here's the second installment of the Gilda Joyce series, and once again my opinion boils down to "cute, but not great". I was again struck by Gilda's ridiculously inflated sense of self-confidence; it just didn't seem realistic.

The premise is that Gilda is given a scholarship to a private Catholic girls' school, and she accepts based on hearing that there's a ghost haunting the lake on the school grounds. She spends her entire first term at school trying to get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding the death of a freshman, Dolores Lambert, who drowned in the lake three years previously. Not surprisingly, she figures it out, though her supposed "psychic" skills take a real backseat compared to the first book -- she's more of an investigative reporter this time around, having taken a job writing for the school newspaper.

I've got a lot of reading to catch up on if I want to read through half the books on my "to be read" bookshelf before the end of this year, so I think I'll give the third Gilda Joyce novel a miss.

No comments: