Thursday, January 12, 2006

Watermelon by Marian Keyes

While I'm being negative about books I can't get in to, let me now officially give up on Watermelon. I'm part of a new book discussion group and this was chosen as the first book for us to read. I had a lot of trouble with it, though, because the writing style was so wordy and excessively detailed, nothing really seemed to happen, and the main character was shallow, whiney and irritating. I got through almost 100 pages and couldn't bring myself to pick it up again, because I really just didn't care.

Ultimately, I had to miss the book group meeting where this book was discussed, because we ended up celebrating Jeff's birthday that evening. So I can take it back to the library without any guilt, knowing I've made a reasonable effort.

No comments: